RECIPE : Christmas Cake
All I Want For Christmas Is ... Christmas Cake ! (And, You, of course, my dear ;))
This year I am being super lazy during festive preparation season. I decided not to bake gingerbread cookies as suddenly the old recipe became very complicated. But Christmas Cake is something very special for me and taking into account that this recipe is quite easy and quickly to prepare (except the baking time - but it concerns only oven), I gathered myself on Saturday afternoon and just did it.
Although this recipe is not fully fat free, protein packed or otherwise fit, it is the most healthy recipe I could imagine. The cake actually contains almost of dried fruits and nuts which is a great source of vitamins, minerals and natural sweetness, so we can skip sugar at all. I usually added rum essence to the cake, but this time tried real brandy so I am excited to taste it and see the difference.
Christmas Cake can be baked in advance - up to couple of weeks or just before the Christmas Eve. I made it few days before the celebration and stored in a fridge, wrapped in foley. Sharing with you my recipe so you can have one more delicious, homemade and healthy treats on your dinner table !
600 g dried fruits (raisins, dried apricots, cranberries)
25 g almonds
100 g flour
1/2 lemon zest + juice
50 g butter
20 g honey
50 g brandy / rum
1. Combine all dry ingredients : flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon.
2. Melt butter on medium heat, add lemon zest and juice, honey, eggs and mix with a spoon.
3. Combine all ingredients and add dried fruits and almonds. Do not be lazy and chop nuts and dried fruits into smaller pieces !
4. Put mixture into a baking pan and bake in an oven at 150 degrees (Celsius) for 1 hour.
5. Decorate with dried fruits, marmalade, nuts or anything you fancy !
6. Wait till Christmas Eve to enjoy it with family and friends ! (The smell will be very tempting, be strong !!)
Hope your Christmas trees are decorated, presents wrapped and festive mood on ! Let's spend these holidays happy !